Congresswoman Ross Applauds Biden-Harris Administration’s COVID-19 Relief Package
Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Deborah Ross (NC-02) announced her support for the incoming Biden-Harris Administration's COVID-19 relief proposal:
“This emergency relief package will provide North Carolina families, businesses, healthcare workers, and schools with the resources they need to weather this health and economic crisis," said Congresswoman Ross. "I applaud the leadership of the Biden-Harris Administration for putting forth a dynamic proposal that will deliver real results for the millions of Americans struggling to pay their bills and provide for their families.
“I look forward to working with this Administration to keep people safe, ensure the swift distribution of the vaccine, rebuild our economy, and safely reopen schools and businesses. The pandemic is certainly not over, but this comprehensive plan provides a framework for a robust recovery."
In recent weeks, Congresswoman Ross has advocated for significant new aid for the small businesses and restaurants that form the backbone of the North Carolina economy. Thankfully, the Biden-Harris plan includes a critical lifeline for our state's Main Street economy in the form of $15 billion in grants to help the hardest hit small businesses stay afloat.
Additionally, the $1.9 trillion package:
· Increases direct payments to $2,000 from the $600 approved in December;
· Provides $350 billion for state and local governments;
· Raises minimum wage to $15 an hour;
· Creates a $400 weekly federal unemployment benefit;
· Allocates $130 billion to help schools reopen safely;
· Creates a national vaccination program;
· Bolsters testing and other coronavirus containment efforts;
· Provides $30 billion for rental and small-landlord support;
· Designates $25 billion for childcare providers and expands child tax credits;
· Funds food assistance programs; and
· Strengthens paid medical and family leave.